Add your voice in support of Calgary’s creative future
We have a considerable opportunity to enhance Calgary’s future through sustainable arts funding. At present, Calgary’s municipal support for arts organizations is the lowest among comparable cities in Canada.
Even a modest increase in investment will have a transformational impact in helping the city diversify the economy and create inspiring connections between citizens. This investment will support the work of artists and arts organizations of all sizes and disciplines develop their work and capacity to make connections with more Calgarians and develop Calgary’s reputation as a city of innovation and creativity.
What you can do to help
1. Provide your feedback on the 2019-2022 City Service Plans & Budgets
The four-year service plans and budgets are now available online at the City of Calgary website. Thanks to all your efforts, there is a proposed $5 million increase for Calgary Arts Development to sustain operations of arts organizations and creative industries. This is a great start! However, the budget has not been finalized. The city has asked for citizen feedback by email or written submission before noon on November 21.
Here are some suggested messages you can include in your feedback:
- I support the leadership demonstrated by increased support to Calgary Arts Development to sustain arts organizations and creative industries
- Beyond sustainability, increased funding will position the arts sector to help create a thriving downtown core and prosperous city overall
- There should be a provision for cost of living index increases each year for Calgary Arts Development funding
- I’m a citizen who believes the arts are important to my life and community
Send feedback by email to email@example.com, or in person to
City Clerk’s Office
Administration Building (Municipal Complex)
313 – 7 Avenue S.E.
2. Reach out to your councillor and let them know that ‘art means business’ and contributes to a prosperous city.
- Not sure who your Councillor is? You can find out here: http://www.calgary.ca/citycouncil/Pages/CityCouncil.aspx
- Not sure what to say? Here are some facts and figures that might help: https://www.creativecalgary.org/about
3. Spread the word about the value of arts and culture to Calgary’s future.
- Follow Creative Calgary on social media: @creative_yyc.
Write a short testimonial or record a 30-45 second video and
- Tell us about a transformational arts experience in your life and/or;
- Tell us how you think a strong arts sector can make Calgary a prosperous city.
4. Pledge your support for Creative Calgary today by completing the form below.
Together we can close the municipal arts funding gap and work to build Calgary’s creative future.