Creative Calgary is a non-partisan group of citizens that care deeply about the role the arts play in connecting our communities and building a healthy, thriving city. Creative Calgary advocates for:
- the immediate vibrancy of the arts sector,
- significantly increased and sustained civic investment in the arts,
- a flourishing arts sector that contributes to the financial health of the city and well-being of its citizens.
Calgary’s municipal support for the arts is the lowest among comparable cities in Canada.
- Calgary art grants per capita are behind Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver, meaning fewer arts sector jobs for Calgarians.
- Creative Calgary is committed to helping the City in a search to redirect budget dollars to the arts.
Arts means business. Calgary’s arts sector contributes to making Calgary a prosperous city.
- Arts organizations deliver returns. $1 invested in the arts returns $1.9 directly and $2.6 when you consider tourism benefits.
- In North America, the fastest growing industries are creative and technology. In Calgary, creative industries employ over 50,000 of our citizens and is integral to economic diversification of the city.
- Over 4,000 students graduate from the city’s four major schools each year with creative industries-related degrees and diplomas.
The time is ripe for the City to make a transformational investment to the arts.
- Calgary's corporate sector is under strain and can no longer be expected to make up for the municipal arts organization funding gap. 43% of non-profit organizations in Calgary saw a decrease in donations from corporations in 2016.
- A modest increase in investment will have a transformational result and will establish Calgary as a leader among Canadian municipalities. We need to act to ensure our creative sector not only weathers the downturn, but drives the growth and diversification of our economy over the years ahead.
- Civic Arts Funding Across Canada, Calgary Arts Development, 2016
- Business for the Arts Report, McKinsey & Company, 2008
- The 10 Fastest-Growing Industries in the US, Forbes, April 9, 2017
- Creative Industries Sector Profile, Calgary Economic Development, 2016
- Highly Educated and Highly Creative, Calgary Economic Development
- 2016 Alberta Nonprofit Survey, Calgary Chamber of Voluntary Organizations